I used amphetamine.
And I got addicted.
Ok, let me rephrase.
I’ve started using "Amphetamine".
Amphetamine is a macOS app that keeps my Mac awake.
I needed Amphetamine because I needed to uploaded my Basecamp exports (a ~4GB .zip file) to my Sync.com Vault. It never worked because my Mac fell asleep before the upload had finished. With Amphetamine it worked!
So, I checked out the about window in the Amphetamine app which led me to his Buy Me a Coffee page - https://www.buymeacoffee.com/x74353. There, I learned that William Gustafson is the solo developer behind this piece of software.
His app is for free but if you feel generous you can support him with a one-off donation or a subscription (2$/mo or 20$/yr).
Currently, William has 430 supporters. That’s fantastic!
So, he got my attention.
And now I was curious about BMC (Buy Me a Coffee) myself.
I knew about it but it never appealed to me. Maybe it was the coffee topic - don’t know.
But last week I checked it out again and found these pieces of copy that changed my mind:
1. "a supporter is worth a 1000 followers"
2. simple, meaningful way to fund creative work
3. without stitching together a bunch of apps
4. build a direct relationship with your fans
5. accept support, memberships; they don’t even have to create an account
BIG ONE: They included a real video review by YouTuber MrAlexTech on their front page => https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhzVaYH_YTI -
Plus, the website is simply designed with lots of white and whitespace - which I like.
Other copy choices that I enjoyed:
1. designed for _creators_ not for businesses
2. they are your supporters not "customers" or transactions
3. get paid instantly to your PayPal or bank account - no 30-day delays
4. 100% ownership of your supporters; export your email list any time you like
And then I checked how they compare to Patreon and Ko-fi…
Together with its clean design and its straightforward language on the homepage, about page, and FAQ page, I find BMC to be a worthwhile Patreon competitor.
Very simple design, totally right up my alley.
That’s why I didn’t hesitate to set up my account.
You can now buy me a camomile tea because… screw coffee xD
You can see a link to my BMC page here:
The social network of the future: No ads, no corporate surveillance, ethical design, and decentralization! Own your data with Mastodon!